Saturday, August 06, 2005

Open letter to the NCAA

As a sports fan, and an avid college sports fan, I was completely SICKENED by the NCAA's decision to ban any team with an American Indian name from participating in any NCAA tournament. I was all set to come on the blog here and rant (as I haven't lately and this topic screamed for me to do so), but I was CC'd on an e-mail to feedback@ncaasports.com from my cousin Karyn, and thought that her thoughts on the topic hit the nail on the head (Don't you just love those silly cliche's)! So, it is below. Enjoy cousin Karyn's musing:

I don't know if this is reaching the right place, but I just had to voice my opinion on the completely asinine decision reached by the NCAA to ban Indian names in postseason play. This is indeed an insane blow of political correctness.
Will the Fighting Irish be next??? I must be, as a woman of Irish ancestry, offended by the use of my family heritage for the name of a collegiate athletic team. Not all Irish fight, is it not inappropriate and offensive to cast an entire group of people as brawlers? Has PETA already started to complain about the Panthers, Nittany Lions and Tigers??? Watch out, the floodgates are open! Will this slippery slope eventually lead to the University of Illinois having to change not only their mascot name but also the name of their state? The hypocrisy in that is just incredible.

Come on, NCAA, don't bow to the political pressure of what is likely a few nuts.

Has the NCAA become the ACLU when I wasn't looking???

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home